Preventive dentistry from your family dentist in Erie, PA, can save your smile.
Preventive dentistry services are one of the most important parts of dental care. That’s because preventive dentistry is designed to protect your smile from disease. When you protect the health of your smile, it also helps guard against serious diseases like diabetes, stroke, osteoporosis, heart disease, and others.
Dr. Rosanne Palermo in Erie, PA, offers a wide range of preventive, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry services, to save your smile.
Preventive care visits with your dentist should occur every 6 to 12 months. You will need x-rays at least every 12 months, or more often if you have dental issues or tooth pain. You should also visit your dental hygienist once every 6 to 12 months for professional cleaning, and more often if you have periodontal disease.
During your preventive dental care visit, your dentist will:
- Perform a complete examination of your teeth, gums, and supporting bone
- Perform a complete oral cancer screening of your cheeks, tongue, and other oral structures
- Take any x-rays necessary in order to diagnose tooth decay, bone loss, or other dental problems
- Check your gums and supporting bone for bleeding and periodontal pocketing
- Develop a comprehensive treatment plan to promote and maintain your oral health
Your dental hygienist may also clean your teeth at your preventive care appointment. All soft deposits (plaque) and hard deposits (tartar) will be removed using hand and ultrasonic tools.
Your dentist can also share the latest ways to keep your smile beautiful. Cosmetic dentistry offers many options from professional whitening to bonding or veneers.
To find out more about the importance of preventive dentistry and how it can save your smile, talk with an expert. contact Dr. Palermo in Erie, PA, at (814) 833-3001. Protect your smile by calling today!